Must be the Curry, Beef Curry

A basic curry, beef or otherwise, is good to know off the top of your head. Crock pot curries are really simple but are so tasty and filling on a bowl of steaming rice that I often have to hold myself back from announcing curry and a jug nights. I figured it was time to cover this casual crowd pleasure after Mark over at DA BEEF BUCKET asked me a very good question, where's da beef? Well Mark, it's in the slow cooker, and trust me it will be pretty tender. I figure this curry recipe could easily work with some chicken, but the I really like the minimalism of this and so prefer to use some cheap chopped stewing beef. I threw this together with the ingredients I had on hand and it came out really well.


INGREDIENTS



  • Splash of oil
  • 1lb or 450g of chunked stewing beef
  • 2 medium onions
  • 1 green bell pepper sliced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper chopped fine
  • 1 tsp ground ginger (notice the cute label my mom made for my spice kit?)
  • 2 gloves of minced garlic
  • 14 oz can of chopped stewed tomatoes. That is half the quantity we normally use.
  • 1 cup of beef broth (we diluted ours)
  • 1 tbsp of curry powder (if not a bit more)
  • Salt and pepper

VARIATIONS

Too many possibilities, vegetables to meat to what you serve it on. I kept this one simple, but I do love throwing cauliflower or spinach in curry. Some people also find many curries too tomatoey, and truthfully I do make many curries with a can of stewed tomatoes. My next one I might find a recipe that is just coconut milk or something, like a butter chicken meal. Also, naan bread mmmm.

DIRECTIONS

  • Heat oil in a frying pan and brown beef. (Is browning before slow cooking always neccesary? More reserach needed.) Transfer to slow cooker, leaving fat.
  • Fry jalapeno and garlic in beef fat until tender and add ginger.
  • Add stewed tomatoes and juice and curry powder. Stir thoroughly and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper as necessary
  • Quarter your onions and slice your green pepper. Mix them in with the beef.
  • Top veggies and meat with pan sauce and add beef broth. Stir well.
  • Cook on low for 6-8 hours. We did hours on high for 4 hours and a few pieces could have gone a bit longer, but some were still very tender.



THE TASTIES

For an improvised curry I was really impressed how well this turned out. It filled our apartment with a rich smell and my roomies were anxious for the spicey! I think we added a bit of extra curry to the mix since it was the last of it. Pretty liquidy but perfect to serve over some rice. I have since read a few recipes that brown the meat in flour and I am going to find out what the PROS of that method are. Probably something about searing...Man I love curries!

No comments:

Post a Comment