So Are These Enchiladas?

Slow cooker Mexican food is something I hadn't tried yet, and I decided enchiladas would be the maiden dish. I've never had enchiladas having limited myself to fajitas, burritos and quesadillas in the past. I'm not entirely sure if these are what Mexico meant, but I was inspired by a recipe over at Fud or Something Like It that looked pretty tasty. Shredding chicken and mixing in sour cream and cheese? Sour cream and cheese are the essentials of any wrapped food in my opinion. I figured the recipe was lacking a bit in substance and spice, and I couldn't find enchilada sauce, so I ran with this recipe, adding a can of cooked beans and some peppers for filling.


INGREDIENTS







  • 2 lbs or 1 kg or boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 package of chicken fajita seasoning
  • 1 large onion chopped
  • 1 cup of sour cream
  • Lots of shredded cheddar
  • Ketchup
  • 1 cup of green chile salsa
  • 1 package of flour tortillas (I used all 10 in of a small tortilla bag)
  • 1 can of cooked red kidney beans strained and rinsed
  • 1 green bell pepper sliced

VARIATIONS

Something more spicey and more genuinely Mexican has been earmarked for the next attempt, but there is no denying how good these are. The sauce itself was a variation, so it shows how much leniency there is. I would add some spice to these for sure.

DIRECTIONS

  • In a sauce pan, mix the green chile salsa with the fajita mix. I wasn't sure how this was going to turn out, but it was very appropriate. I think enchilada sauce is mostly green chile based, so it worked out well. I stirred well, and added some ketchup to mild it out a bit.
  • Place the chicken breasts on the bottom of your crock pot. Pour salsa fajita sauce on top. Cover with sliced onions.


  • Cook on low for 6 hours.

  • When cooked and well tender, transfer the chicken breasts to a large bowl and shred with forks.
  • Mix one cup of sour cream with the chicken. Also add the chopped onions from the slow cooker and a couple hand fulls of shredded cheese.
  • Grease some oven safe dishes and pre-heat oven to 350F.
  • Scoop the chicken mixture into the flour tortillas and wrap with beans and green pepper.
  • Place wrapped tortillas side by side in oven dish. Cover with the salsa fajita sauce from the crock pot and layer with more shredded cheese.
  • Bake in the oven until beans and peppers are warm and cheese has melted. About 20 minutes. Seperate with a knife and you'll need a fork to eat!




THE TASTIES

Really great, especially as leftovers. These can feed quite a few people and I would consider bringing it to a pot luck some time since it can be carried around in a dish. As I mentioned before, I will keep an eye out for enchilada sauce for the real deal, or at least try to find a REAL recipe. More chili pepper, since we ran out, or hot sauce. So good, especially the sour cream and cheese chicken. Sloppy messes but worth the struggle and the additional use of an oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment