3 B's Stew


My girlfriend has been vegetarian for a decade, so I am supposed to learn veggie friendly recipes. No problem, I love legumes, but she is still a better meat free cook than I am. Proof was in this amazing hearty stew she made. Look at all the nice vegetables she included, I am particularly fond of the 3 Bs, Brussels sprouts, beans and barley, hence the title. This recipe was used on a stove top, but I am convinced it would work fine in a slow cooker.

INGREDIENTS

(made on the stove)
  • 2 tablespoons of melted butter
  • 1 leek, white part sliced thinly
  • 1/2 onion chopped
  • 1 Cup chopped Brussels sprouts
  • 1.5 L of vegetable broth (or cubes)
  • 1 peeled and diced turnip
  • 3 peeled chopped parsnips
  • 1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 cup of barley
  • 1 can of diced tomatoes, juice included
  • Thyme
  • 2 Bay leaves
  • Coriander
  • Salt
  • Pepper
VARIATIONS

Typically I also enjoy stews made with beer and meat.

DIRECTIONS

Simple since most of the work is cutting.

Fry the leek and onions in the butter until wilted.
Combine EVERYTHING in the slow cooker, and give it a good stir.
Cook until turnips are tender. I will guess 3-4 hours on high, 4-6 hours on low.

THE TASTIES

This is a really hearty stew and I can't wait to try it on the slow cook. Great vegetarian alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment