Macaroni and Tomato with Sour Cream Cheese

I love cheesy pasta, and I wanted to give crock pot pasta another chance after the success with the Homeschooled Mac and Cheese. My frustration with pasta recipes I've seen so far is that they all cook the pasta in advance. To me this seems to kind of defeat the purpose of the slow cooker, so I wanted to try more recipes with raw pasta that cooked in a sauce. I used a home made tomato and ground beef sauce that my mom had frozen for me, added some sour cream and some cream cheese, presto! Not quite a casserole, but definitely cooked pasta.

INGREDIENTS


  • 300 grams of uncooked macaroni
  • Slightly less than half a stick of cream cheese
  • 1 cup of sour cream
  • Tomato sauce (one tupperware full?)
  • Additional vegetables ( I threw in some mushrooms, onions and green pepper)
  • Shredded cheddar or Parmesan to serve.


DIRECTIONS

Uncooked pasta in the slow cooker is really easy since you're just mixing the sauces and it cooks itself!

  • Place macaroni in crock pot
  • Cover with tomato sauce, sour cream and chunks of cream cheese and stir with extra vegetables.
  • Cook on high for 1 1/2 hours on high. Should be well coooked in 2 hours on high.
THE TASTIES

So I think the macaroni thought it was going to be a casserole, but I'm glad it isn't. Still quite lose, but with some stickiness to it. Sour cream is a nice touch, but make sure it's well mixed in. Could have used a bit more tomato sauce, but the pasta is definitely cooked through. I went for the two whole hours without lifting the lid and it was getting crispy along the sides. Tasty and cheese though, and shows that uncooked pasta works in the slow cooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment