Not Your Mother's: Peach Crumble

Really wish I could have gotten some pictures up for this recipe, because as my Citizen Journalism class knows, IT IS DELICIOUS. So delicious in fact, that it was devoured before I could think to take any pictures. Ass kissing? OBVIOUSLY! Teachers are like armies, they march on their stomachs...or something.


Another plug for Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann's Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook, but this time for peach crumble! I really don't understand why their book is available on Google books. If the link doesn't work, try creating a Google account and it might. I paid $22 Canadian for this thing because I wanted to have a hard copy of tried and tested recipes, but lo and behold, it's available online! (At the time of writing I am able to freely scroll through hundreds of recipes.) In case it isn't at the time of reading, here is the recipe!

THE INGREDIENTS

  • 2 pounds/ 1 kg firm-ripe peeled and thickly sliced peaches (Peruvian peaches were in season when I made this. Cheap cheap special price for you!)
  • 3/4 cups of quick-cooking rolled oats
  • 3/4 cups of all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cups of firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup of cold unsalted butter or homemade butter or as much cannabutter as you want
VARIATIONS

Yo crumble is a classic! Try all the fruits of the cornucopia! Also, works as a dessert and breakfast.

DIRECTIONS

Once again proving how easy a slow cooker really is. I had to wake up earlier than normal for my 9:30 class (boy college sure is tough...) and prepared this delicious dessert in time to use as a special little breakfast snack for my classmates.

  • Coat your slow cooker container with butter or margarine or pam. Seriously. This is important in avoiding frustrating messes.
  • For the topping: mix the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt
  • Cube the butter and work it into the powder mix with your finger to create a crumbley topping.
  • Layer your peach slices on the bottom of the slow cooker. Soften them up by putting them in the crock pot on low for 30 minutes.
  • Spread the crumble topping evenly over the soft, juicy peaches. Cook on low for 2.5-3 hours or until you stick a knife through the topping and it comes out clean.
THE TASTIES

A great success. I wasn't sure how the topping would come out, if it would be as baked as oven variation crumbles, but it definitely was. Crispy and delicious, 5 stars all across the board and I am sure my peers would agree. Hopefully it will also boost my mark to keep my precious GPA up.

No comments:

Post a Comment